About us...

The story of us and our journey to Swaziland, Africa is a long one. Almost 7 years in the making in fact. Of course we didn't realize it until a little over a year ago...

We are a family of six. My husband, Randy, myself, our 12 year old son, Hudson, 8 year old daughter, Olivia, 2 year old son, Griffin, and 10 month old daughter, Ella. We will be moving to Swaziland hopefully some time in the spring of 2011. Our job there will be helping the local church to start medical clinics, schools and food distribution centers. Swaziland has the highest HIV/AIDS rate in the world...almost 48% of people there have the disease.

We know that God has called us to go there, and we are looking forward to being used however He desires.

Thanks for following us on our journey!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Capes and Stretchy Pants

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but you must know the truth . I AM NOT a super hero! I know, with the impressive physic and dashing good looks (laughter intended), you would automatically assume as much. As shocking as this must be, I assure you I do not own a cape or stretchy pants. In fact, there is pretty much nothing about me that is super or heroic. I'm just a normal guy who has good days and tough days. I hope that doesn't disappoint you too much.

Missionaries have always been my heroes. I could tell you about one in particular who made such an impression on me when I was a kid, but he says it makes him feel old when I tell that story so I'll refrain. Nonetheless, the process of becoming a missionary has really humanized and demystified the role for me. When I was appointed they gave me a super big Bible but no cape or stretchy pants. I'm not sure what I expected, but not much has changed.

My bad days come with a different set of worries but they still come. I struggle with things like- What are we going to do for a house when we come home if we sell ours? What about cars, if we sell ours? If we get rid of all our stuff, what do we do then? Will everyone who makes a pledge meet the commitment? What can I do if a couple of my large pledges don't come in or several of our smaller pledges? Every pledge every month is the difference for us. Will people forget about us, like out of sight out of mind? Will people quit on us?

So I know how many of you will respond to these questions. I certainly know how unreasonable they are. God has provided for us in unbelievable ways and people have been so generous. It is just that my emotions are not bullet proof. I'm not even interested in owning a cape, but I will own up to fears. I have to admit considering my emerging love of good food I also wouldn't mind having pair of stretchy pants.

RF

No comments:


waiting patiently for lunch

random church nurseries

a new night, a new bed...and a sucker and a pacifier...of course...